Early Mattress used.
Piece of a mattress from 77,000 years ago. (ref)
Hydrostatic Bed to help with bedsores by Dr. Neil Arnot (ref)
First TV couple in same bed
“Johnny and Mary Kay” portrayed by the real-life married couple. It aired for three years and predates the I love lucy show (which showed the protagonist married couple sleeping in seperate beds.)
The Therm-a-rest camping mattress was introduced. Self-inflating camping comfort that changed the way people sleep on the ground.
Craftmatic Adjustable bed company started up. (ref)
First Futon Sofa Bed
Invented in Cambridge. by William Brouwer
The Select Comfort company began operation. The company's signature product is the Sleep Number bed, an adjustable air mattress.
Memory foam bed company comes to the US (ref)
The Cuddle Mattress was introduced. It lets you move your arms and other limbs (appendages?) below the person (dog? see Julie) you are sleeping with for more comfort.
Casper Mattress Company starts up. I’m including it, because I hear them advertise on podcasts, and I’m becoming brainwashed into thinking they are a good product (which they might be).
|Pogo checking out my sleeping arrangements|
|Look close at the little piggy, you can see the fracture.|
- Boen, J. L. (2008). Mission full as cold hits: Temperatures expected to dip below zero tonight; some homeless men at shelter sleeping on floor: News-Sentinel, The (Fort Wayne, IN).
- Dolliver, M. (2002). When Sleeping on the Floor Finally Loses its Charm. Adweek Western Edition, 52(16), 63.
- Hotta, A., & Iwai, K. (1976). Factors affecting choice of mode of sitting and sleeping by inhabitants of public housing. Journal Of Human Ergology, 5(1), 3-16.
- Ikeda, M., Kaneita, Y., Yamamoto, R., Itani, O., Kondo, S., Osaki, Y., . . . Ohida, T. (2014). Sleep environments of Japanese adolescents: An epidemiological study. Sleep and Biological Rhythms, 12(2), 116-126. doi: 10.1111/sbr.12050
- Maerefat, M., Zolfaghari, A., & Omidvar, A. (2012). On the conformity of floor heating systems with sleeping in the eastern-style beds; physiological responses and thermal comfort assessment. Building and Environment, 47, 322-329. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2011.07.008
- Mathanga, D. P., Mwandama, D. A., Bauleni, A., Chisaka, J., Shah, M. P., Landman, K. Z., . . . Steinhardt, L. C. (2015). The effectiveness of long-lasting, insecticide-treated nets in a setting of pyrethroid resistance: a case-control study among febrile children 6 to 59 months of age in Machinga District, Malawi. Malaria Journal, 14(1), 457-457. doi: 10.1186/s12936-015-0961-3
- Minakawa, N., Kongere, J. O., Dida, G. O., Ikeda, E., Hu, J., Minagawa, K., . . . Larson, P. S. (2015). Sleeping on the floor decreases insecticide treated bed net use and increases risk of malaria in children under 5 years of age in Mbita District, Kenya. Parasitology, 142(12), 1516-1522. doi: 10.1017/S0031182015000955
- Neysa Alund, N. (2011). Prisoners sleeping on floor in Campbell jail: Knoxville News-Sentinel, The (TN).
- Sutor, D. (2015). Program builds beds for kids sleeping on floors: Tribune-Democrat, The (Johnstown, PA).
- Zhang, B., Rasmussen, B., Jorissen, A., & Harte, A. (2013). Comparison of vibrational comfort assessment criteria for design of timber floors among the European countries. Engineering Structures, 52, 592-607. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.03.028